Going on vacation can be tough while wearing braces. There are so many temptations on a daily basis, but vacation seems to make it harder to stay away from items on the no-no list. W have put together a list of items that will be handy to have with you at all times while you are our of town.
Items to pack:
- Toothpick, flosspick, or other interdental cleaners
- Travel toothbrush
- A water bottle or a mini bottle of mouth rinse
- Orthodontic wax to help with discomfort from protruding wires
- A small mirror for examining any possible issues in your mouth
If you happen to be on vacation and experience problems reaching our office, we suggest going online and searching for orthodontic practices in your area. Believe it or not, most orthodontists will lend a helping hand to another orthodontic patient and get him or her out of pain or discomfort.
Items to Avoid:
As a reminder, avoiding the following foods will help prevent broken brackets and/or wire distortion while you are on vacation:
- Chewy, sticky, or gummy food
- Apples, pears, and other whole fruits (cut fruit into wedges before consuming)
- Bagels and hard rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Hard candies
- Hard cookies or pretzels
- All varieties of nuts, including peanuts, almonds, and cashews
Finally, if you are wearing clear aligners and happen to lose your tray, don’t worry! Simply put in either the previous tray or the next tray and contact us as soon as you get home!
Follow these tips and you can have a worry-free vacation! Please give us a call if you have any questions!