How To Maintain A Healthy Diet In Braces
Getting used to life with braces means learning what you can and can’t eat. When you get braces, you will need to change some of your eating habits because eating certain foods, such as nuts or hard candy, can damage or break your braces, ultimately leading to prolonged treatment. The most important thing to remember is to avoid foods that are hard, chewy, crunchy, sticky or gooey!
Here are some great tasty options to eat:
- Dairy (yogurt, pudding, soft cheeses)
- Steamed instead of raw veggies
- Soft Breads like tortillas
- Spaghetti, macaroni & cheese and other noodle dishes
- Peanut butter and Jelly with non crunchy peanut butter
- Non-tough meats like lunch meats, meatballs and chicken (no meat that is on a bone)
- Light crackers and cookies
It is important not only for overall health, but also for oral health, to maintain a healthy nutritious diet while wearing braces. And remember, your teeth are more susceptible to cavities when you have braces, so avoid eating and drinking lots of sugary foods and beverages. If you have any questions, call our office!
Call Dr. Hough’s office today for your complimentary consultation and exam.