Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene
While undergoing orthodontic treatment, oral hygiene is extremely important. Proper brushing and flossing is vital to keeping your teeth and gums healthy. It is essential in preventing the development of stains, streaks or other structural damage on the teeth. The damage can present itself in the form of permanent white spots, brown spots, cavities, and/or gum disease. In order to prevent this from happening, you must develop a good system of cleaning your teeth and gums every day.
At your initial braces or appliance placement appointment, one of our staff members will teach you how to brush and floss your teeth and your braces. They will also provide you with several tools to keep your smile healthy, including an electric toothbrush.
Ten rules of hygiene that you should always remember are:
1. Brush after EVERY meal, at least 3 times a day
2. Floss EVERY day
3. Brush every surface of your tooth
4. Brush every surface of your braces, including in between them
5. Brush your gums, and concentrate on the part of the gums that are between the teeth and braces
6. Brush in circular motion
7. Don’t forget to Brush your tongue!
8. Rinse with a fluoride-fortified mouthwash
9. A Water-Pik® is a great cleaning tool for getting in between the braces
10. It only takes ONE day of improper cleaning to cause BIG problems!